The Parish of Broome sits in the far Northeast of the County of Worcestershire, within the district of Wyre Forest. In addition to the village of Broome the Parish includes Hackman’s Gate (once Hangman’s Gate) and Yieldingtree. There are approximately 120 dwellings housing some 350 people, mostly in those three areas but some dotted about the nearby countryside.
Broome was originally named for the abundance of the distinctive, yellow flowered bushes in the area, now very few and far between.
There was a school in the village up until 1933, originally in what is now Bourne Cottage, (named after one of the 19th century vicars). The school buildings were condemned as being unsuitable in the 1880’s and a new school and teacher’s house built across the road in what is now the Village Hall and the ‘School House’.
Commercial businesses are few and far between: in addition to farming there is a large Garden Centre at Barnett Hill, a media company at the Studio, the Coach House Nursing Home in the village of Broome and, during the period leading up to Christmas, an outlet selling Christmas trees located in Yieldingtree.